Listen in Your Browser
Mental Health for High Achievers: Ambition, Anxiety, Perfectionism, and Balancing Striving vs. Self-Acceptance – In The Trenches
- Please share your story with us, and what led you to what you’re doing today
- When you experienced burnout, how did you know that it evolved beyond day-to-day exhaustion and became something that warranted formal treatment?
- In the past, you’ve said that “I used to believe that I was only lovable and valuable as a human being so long as I was achieving.” How did you come to this realization, and how did you “un-do” decades of conditioning that told you this?
- When do we interpret ambition and and achievement-orientation as things that are helpful, and when do we recognize them as potentially harmful?
- Sometimes anxiety is helpful and constructive, but at other times it can be unhelpful or counterproductive. At any given anxious moment, how does one recognize which type of anxiety they might be feeling?
- What signs might people look for to determine if they’re experiencing a “normal” or “acceptable” level of anxiety, versus a level that would require more meaningful treatment?
- What is the best way for somebody to go about the process of finding and selecting a therapist?
- In the past you’ve said that “perfectionism is fear in disguise”. What does that mean to you, and why do you believe it to be true?
- Is perfectionism a bad thing? Or is it yet another example of any given virtue also coming with an associated cost?
- What are some of the more common struggles shared with you specifically by entrepreneurs and CEOs? To what extent are our struggles similar to those of other people, and to what extent are they different?
- Is there anything that has been left unsaid? Anything that you want to share or communicate with our listeners that we haven’t covered today?
Download a Written Transcript of Our Conversation
Access a text-based version of our discussion to highlight, copy or take notes by clicking on the button below
Thanks to our Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Symphony, a company that partners with software businesses across the entire software development life cycle, including technical due diligence, team augmentation, outsourced development, technical consulting, and more. Symphony not only performs technical due diligence engagements for search funds, Private Equity firms, and strategic acquirers, but they also partner with those buyers on an ongoing basis on all things product (outsourced development, team augmentation, new product prototyping, UI refreshes, QA professionalization, and so on). Symphony is offering a full 15% off of any of their services for readers & listeners of In the Trenches. Just go to the Contact form on their website and tell them that you’re a listener of the podcast.
This episode is brought to you by Avidbank. Avidbank is one of the most experienced search fund lenders in North America, having funded over 40 separate transactions since 2014, for a total of over $300M. They are deeply familiar with the search fund model, and understand the nuances of the fundraising process, dealing with sellers, communicating with your equity investors, LOI reviews, and everything else in between. Reach out to Anthony Rodriguez (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Conor Tidgwell (email@example.com) to learn more.